Saturday 2 October 2010

Quaint Country Pubs

I have always been a fan of quaint, old country pubs. There is just something about snuggling up near a log-fire, drinking a glass of wine and catching up with old friends. For some reason, a lot of these pubs have now been modernised (and in my opinion ruined!) and so striking across a good one is quite a delight.
Take a drive out to the country and have a snoop around, and remember to let me know what you find!
But I thought I would let you in on some of my fabourites:

The Swan Inn, Bitton: This small pub has become, what some would say, 'my local.' The typical, English pub food goes down a treat on cold winters evenings, while the bar and wait staff are very delightful. It is easily accesible and perfectly reasonable. I would recommend booking, to ensure a table.



The Sign of the Angel, Lacock: I have to say, lacock is one of my favourite places in England. Not only are you virtually walking around the Harry Potter set, but the old English heritage homes, pubs and shops seem to take you back to a different era. I love the unspoilt brilliance of everything that it is has to offer. Being a National Trust site means that it is a popular area for tourists - but oh so worth the trip. Stop in local tea rooms for afternoon tea and be sure to visit The Sign of the Angel for a cracking Sunday roast. It is actually a beautiful, old hotel but the pub/restaurant has become famous all over England. Trust me, it is definitely worth it. Take your dog to Lacock and wander around the cobbled streets - you will feel like you are in a Jane Austen novel. Visit: http://www.lacock.co.uk/angelhome.html Booking is essential.

(I can't say it looks much different today, minus the cattle ofcourse!)

Have you found any other secret treasures? Let me know, it's a good excuse to take a visit somewhere! 

1 comment:

  1. I must visit England some day, sounds like a place I would love.

    ReplyDelete